- 3 ears of sweet corn
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 7 egg yolks
- 5 oz. quality dark chocolate, chopped
1. Cut kernels off 3 ears corn, liquefy in the blender. Save corn cobs.
2. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar and pureed corn mixture to a pot and cook on medium for about 8 min, or until most of the liquid cooks off, constantly stirring.
3. Add 2 cups heavy cream, 1 cup milk and the corn cobs broken in halves. Stir and bring to a boil, then let sit for 1 hr.
4. Remove cobs and bring back up to a simmer. Meanwhile whisk 7 egg yolks with 1/4 cup brown sugar. Add 1 cup hot mixture to eggs and whisk continuously. Then add egg mixture back to hot milk. Continue stirring on med low for 5-10 minutes, until consistency is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
5. Using a mesh thing, strain the solids from the mixture, then refrigerate the strained liquid for at least 4 hrs.
6. Add to ice cream maker and churn for 25-30 minutes. 5 minutes before the churning is done, add in 5 oz of chopped chocolate. Freeze for 2 hours and serve.