Ate this creation to fast to photograph it! So good.
Based on this recipe's proportions, I did a few things differently.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh peaches, pitted and thinly sliced
1. Cook the peaches with the maple syrup over medium heat. Stir periodically to make sure it’s not burning or sticking.
2. As these begin to cook down, heat up the milk and the vanilla (not too hot) in a saucepan.
3. Whisk egg yolks and brown sugar in a separate small bowl until light in color and fluffy.
4. Add a 1/4 cup of the hot milk to the egg mixture and whisk until blended.
5. Add egg/milk mixture back into hot milk saucepan and stir continuously on medium heat for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens and can coat the back of a wooden spoon.
6. Remove from heat and pour into a metal bowl resting in an ice water bath. Stir in heavy cream and peach sauce and let sit until chilled.
7. Pour mixture through a strainer to get out the skins (this wasn’t the best idea, I should have removed the skins before hand) but keep the pulp and throw it back into the mix. *If you take the skins off before hand, then strain the mixture before step 6, prior to adding peaches.
8. Chill this in the freezer for about 20 minutes, then add to ice cream/gelato maker and churn for 35 minutes. Give it about 4 more hours in the freezer before serving.
I think this would also be great with even more than 1.5 lb of peaches, perhaps skinned first and pureed before cooking down with maple syrup…