Polenta can be made more grits-like with the simple addition of greek yogurt. Throw a slice of prosciuoot on there under a poached egg, whip up a quick dressing of lime, ginger, cayenne, honey and peanut oil for some greens and brek gets classy quick.
I followed some great instructions for making polenta without a whole lotta stirring here, and altered it as follows...
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 2.5 tbsp. greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated cheese (Mountain Jack Vermont Cheddar is always nice)
- Bring the water to a boil, then add the salt
- When boiling, pour polenta in while stirring in a thin stream, don't dump it in
- Continue stirring until polenta begins to thicken, turn down heat to low and cover
- Keep covered for 30 minutes cooking on low, stirring it every 10 minutes
- When polenta has reached desired thickness, turn off heat, add cheese and stir.
- When cheese is melted and incorporated, add yogurt and stir.
Serve with prosciutto, a poached egg and greens. Add salt to taste. Serves 3.