I ran out of tupperware for freezing my ice cream, but appropriately had this empty Illy espresso can, which worked great.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup fine ground espresso beans
- 1-2 empty tea bags
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3-5 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Put two cups heavy cream in a double boiler with the 1/2 cup espresso sealed in tea bags. stir with water simmering for about 30 minutes
- Whisk 4 egg yolks (in a heat-proof bowl), then add the hot milk mixture in a steady stream (putting espresso aside for the moment)
- When well-blended, put bowl of egg-milk mixture back on the double boiler and stir continually until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon
- Stir in sugar and maple syrup
- Sit in a larger bowl filled with ice to chill, but espresso bags back in, and when cooled to room temperature, cover and place in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Add chilled mixture to ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- When ice cream is almost done freezing, add chopped chocolate and allow to mix in thoroughly.
- Freeze in containers for at least 1 hour before serving