This meal was truly an exquisite course: I cut up eggplant and put it in the oven then cut up potatoes and was getting ready to fry. I wasn't that excited about it. Then Rick took over and made it into this potato, eggplant, buffalo mozzarella, tomato, basil, roasted delicious heaping pile you see here. Yum!
He was harkening back to meals made by his grandma who was a great Italian cook, and remembered that she would combine eggplant and potatoes this way. It was a great improvisation.
- 3 skinny eggplants cut into rounds
- about 15 small potatoes
- 1 ball of buffalo mozzarella
- cherry tomatoes, preferably of many colors
- 5 basil leaves
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- Cut the eggplant into rounds, lay on a baking sheet that has been doused with olive oil, and if you have multiple layers of eggplant, drizzle some olive oil in between the layers and on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, cut your small potatoes into bite-sized chunks, fill a frying pan with enough olive oil to be a few millimeters deep across the pan. Heat the oil and when hot, add the potatoes and fry for about 10 minutes
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and add the potatoes to the baking sheet, mixing the eggplant and potatoes together, and sprinkling with salt. Place back in the oven to make for about 15 more minutes
- Cut the tomatoes into small pieces and sprinkle with salt. When the eggplant/potato mixture has about 5 minutes left to go, add the tomatoes and chunks of mozzarella across the top of the mixture.
- Remove and serve with fresh basil on top.