Debbi adapted this from a recipe to make vegan Milky Way bars, and I chunked them up with pistachios and cranberries. We made just the date caramel from the recipe, combined it with treats, rolled into balls and then covered them in melted dark chocolate.
- 15 pitted Medjool dates
- 1-4 Tbsp water
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 bar (3.5 oz) of dark chocolate
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Add dates to a food processor or blender and puree until most of the dates are broken down or it forms a ball. Add the salt and the water slowly until you have a mixture that you can form easily but that isn't too pasty or liquid-y. Remove from the blender and refrigerate while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Shell the pistachios and measure out the cranberries.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and coconut oil
- Add the pistachios and cranberries to the date caramel. Put a sheet of parchment paper* on a plate, then roll the caramel clusters into balls and place on the parchment.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the date caramel balls and refrigerate immediately on the plate. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, then remove the balls and serve or store in a container in the refrigerator.
* we did not do this and paid the price