- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- Heat rum with 1/4 cup maple syrup and ginger, let it simmer for 15 min and then sit for 30.
- Bring cream, half and half and salt just to a boil.
- Whisk eggs and 1/2 cup maple syrup (preferably to a quite frothy degree with an electric mixer) then slowly add hot milk mixture, then rum mixture while whisking. Pour this combination back into saucepan and cook over low heat while constantly stirring until custard is thick enough to coat a spoon. Don’t let it boil.
- Put mixture in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Add to ice cream maker and freeze for at least an hour after transferring to an airtight container.
(adapted from epicurious rum currant ice cream recipe)