This snack keeps coming back in increasingly interesting iterations. I recently picked up some hemp hearts and wanted to bake something with beets, so I returned to the protein puff framework and swapped out a few items. The results were FABULOUS and you can do a sweet version or a not-so-sweet version. What can I say, I seem to like fuschia-colored foods!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 boiled beet
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (double this for a sweeter version)
- 1/4 cup melted 100% chocolate (2 oz.)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. golden flax meal
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 2/3 cup hemp hearts
- 1/8 cup candied ginger, cut into small chunks (sweet version)
- 1/8 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a double boiler, melt the coconut oil, dark chocolate, peanut butter and maple syrup. Remove from heat when melted and combined.
- In a food processor, blend the banana, boiled beet and egg whites.
- Combine these wet ingredients together, mixing thoroughly in a medium sized bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil and add large spoonfuls of the mix to each cup.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool and then remove from the muffin tin.